Monday, September 13, 2010

Oops

I took a spill while riding this morning, but as the old adage goes, you have to get right back on the horse!

Flame spooked at the very scary neighbor lady engaged in the sinister task of hanging up laundry. I can't honestly blame him, since it was just shadowy movements behind a tall lattice fence and the weekly tornado siren test was blaring simultaneously. He spun and took off, and I had to bail out before he creamed me against a jump post. We all survived the incident, but I did manage to twist my ankle and maybe my knee, also. It wasn't enough to keep me from finishing the ride on a good note, however, so we faced his fears and worked for another 15 minutes.

I can never get really upset when a horse spooks, as I tend to be rather jumpy myself. Not while riding, mind you, but (rather more embarrassing) around the house with my own husband! I'm sure I can't count the number of times Jeff has startled me just by walking in the room. My hearing isn't bad, and I know he's home, so I can't figure out why I jump so badly. It's enough that my adrenalin starts pumping and I'm momentarily irritable as I try to register everything and calm my "fight or flight" response. I must have a little Arabian in me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! I'm glad it was just your knee! I know of people who've been permanently injured by falling off a horse, but you probably know techniques of "bailing" safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've fallen a number of times in the years I've been riding, but yes, you're correct that there is a "right" and safe way of dismounting in an emergency. Sadly, I did't do as well as I should have or I probably could have avoided the tweak to my leg!

    ReplyDelete