Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I’m just floored about it!

I finished laying the new floor in the laundry room! I did the kitchen flooring back in January when we put in the new cabinets, and I’ve had the bathroom done for a month, but the laundry room was on hold until Jeff could help me move the washer and dryer. He did the weekend before last, and it’s done! It's lovely to have so much storage space for all my ingredients, equipment, and supplies just steps from the kitchen. I even added extra pantry shelving to the coat closet beside the bathroom just for narrow bottles and jars that get lost in the cabinets.

I did all the priming and painting on Jeff's last business trip, as it took a few days of uninterrupted work to prep and finish that job. The new lighting, pulls, countertop, and open shelving were done in spurts. But the floor was the final project. This room and the bath both took a deceptively long time to lay, given the small space. There were so many tiny, tricky cuts and angles. Jeff would come home and count my fingers to make sure I hadn't lost any digits to the compound miter saw, jigsaw, or undercut saw! Since the flooring was seconds from a discount building supply place, I had to work around blemishes and damaged spots to salvage as much material as possible, so that took a long time, too.

All I need now is a counter height rolling chair for my menu planning area and I'm all set.

Here’s the before and after.

Laundry room before
BEFORE

Photobucket
AFTER (same angle)

Photobucket
AFTER

Photobucket
SOUTH WALL (from kitchen)

Photobucket
NORTH WALL (from kitchen)

Photobucket
STRAIGHT ON (from bathroom doorway)

Photobucket
NORTH WALL (from bathroom doorway)

Photobucket
SOUTH WALL (from bathroom doorway)

Photobucket
PANTRY RACKS (in coat closet)

6 comments:

  1. Very beautiful and impressive! I'm too timid to lay the rest of our flooring because (as Conner admits) I'm a klutz and very afraid of saws because of it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melinda! I was a little intimidated at first, but after a few sample cuts I felt pretty confident. Of course, every shop teacher I've ever met seems to be missing a finger, so I maintain a healthy respect for the machinery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're so cool. I bought General Finishes 'Candelight' stain today to try to camoflauge a blemished door in our house. Maybe use the rest to refinish the chest that's been waiting so patiently for its turn. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you were able to find the GF brand Valerie. It's the best, I think you'll be really happy with it. I'd love to see a picture when you're done, as I haven't used that stain color before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job Sarah!!! You two must agree on colors alot easier than we do. That's why the kids rooms are done as for the rest of the house, well.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff is very open to just about whatever I want to try in the realm of decorating. He gives input, but it's more the general scheme than the details. I love the free rein, but sometimes when I'm stuck between two good choices I wish he was a litte more opinionated! He's very easy to please, though, so it's hard to go wrong ;-)

    ReplyDelete