Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter Campout

Well, we survived another winter campout! It was three cold, sleepless nights and four busy, only slightly warmer days. Between massive wind gusts, drizzling rain, and freezing temperatures, we managed to have fun, fellowship, and even attend an outdoor wedding and reception.

I didn't know it was possible to get a "sunburn" from a fire, but I think that is indeed what I arrived home with. Everyone huddled around a central fire to begin and end the day (and even sometimes in the afternoon, given how cold it was), and I think I'm still feeling the effects on the skin of my forehead. It was funny, as I didn't begin to feel any real pains until we were in the car on the ride home. Then the extent of the chapped and chafed skin and sore body (from sleeping on the ground in a tent) become evident, apparently as I thawed out in the warmth of the heater!

We're seriously thinking about renting a camper for next winter, although I'm proud of us for sticking it out when the majority of people rented hotel rooms or had RVs in which to stay. (I'm not sure if that makes us tough or just cheap!) Regardless, it was another great experience and I look forward to the forthcoming summer camp out in July.

“Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.” - Arthur Golden

No comments:

Post a Comment