Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Labels for Learning

In an effort to immerse ourselves in German to prepare for our Berlin excursion, I have taken the advice of a well-traveled friend. She suggested that I label everything in the house in German so I associate the item with the new language. Since I'm a very visual learner (as well as a little label-happy), this is perfect for me. I typed up several sheets of common nouns on cardstock and spent a good part of the day taping labels to household items.

I took German for three years in high school, but, as most Americans know, we don't really learn (or remember) a lot from public school foreign language classes. It's coming back in bits and pieces, thanks to the Rosetta Stone program I'm working through, which is good. German has masculine, feminine, and neuter articles (i.e., three forms of words like "a", "an", and "the"), which was always tricky for me. The washing machine is she, but the dryer is he. The faucet is he but the sink is it. So, I also included the relevant article on the labels. Now I just have to make sure I look at them after all this work!

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

6 comments:

  1. I especially like the fact that you labeled the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see how long Da Vinci's label lasts; I expect it to get chewed or drooled on soon, so I'd better learn it fast! (Although, to be honest, he's such a good Hund he never chews and only rarely drools ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! Yes, the dog's label takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off to the Nederland for the Feast I suppose! What a great Feast Site! You will love Berlin, we enjoyed it very much 2 years ago. We are still not sure where we will end up. The Netherlands is on our list of possibilities though. I have a helpful list of extras that I take when we go to Europe, to make the stay in a bungalow more convenient. Let me know if you would like to take a look to get some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL... that's great. You even labeled, the dog. Or should I say der hund? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that perfectly organized pantry! I didn't see any obvious leavening agents in there so you must be well on your way with deleavening.

    I took German for one year in high school and the only sentence I remember is Ish haba gebutstag im Junie. Or something like that. Plus random things like das gummiband, der bliestef, and ich liba du which I think is I love you. Right? Anyway have fun continuing to relearn german.

    ReplyDelete