Tuesday, April 6, 2010

200,000 and still going strong

Photobucket
We took the camera with us on our last trip to document a historical event. Our 2000 Dodge Neon has been going strong since Jeff bought it new ten years ago. Given all the driving we do, it's really racked up the miles. There are a few minor problems (burns a little oil, leaky seal on the trunk, bit of a gas odor outside, etc.), but on the flip side we still get 35 miles to the gallon on the highway! Who knew the Dodge Neon had such longevity? Jeff likes to make the analogy of the miracle of the Israelites in the wilderness when their shoes and clothing lasted 40 years!

Our little green car has signed a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), so we won't be going to heroic measures to extend its life. When it has a major breakdown, we will put it out of its misery and buy a new car. But in the meantime, we will do our best to maintain and ensure quality of life. That includes asking our house-sitter to start the car once a week or so while we're in Germany! We've left it for almost two weeks at the airport in long-term parking in the past and it required several attempts before starting, so we would expect the worst if it sat for two months. All in all, it's been a good vehicle, and car shopping is all the harder now because there will be big shoes to fill.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when you buy a car that can actually last that long! John's car is looking so shabby and it's got 220,000. He keeps saying he's going to drive that until it dies and then hopefully someone has a superb minimum trade in deal. Something to pray about right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to buy a new car myself. My old one that I had, had like you all for years and years finally died at 165,000 miles. CPR would not revive it. I like my new car though. I would love to see this be my last car that I have to purchase. :-) Car shopping just is not fun to me.

    ReplyDelete