Monday, April 26, 2010

Boogity Boogity Boogity

(Okay, lest is seem as though I actually know something about NASCAR racing, let me just say I happened to see that particular catchphrase everywhere yesterday. I had to look it up on Wikipedia to understand the connection.)

Photobucket
Another exciting Sunday in the Evans household! Jeff and I participated in a regional church fundraiser at the NASCAR 499 Talledega Superspeedway yesterday. We've done it a few times now; ushering last spring, cleaning up the stand last fall, and ushering again this past Sunday. There were strong storms and tornado warnings on Saturday, so a smaller race was bumped to Sunday also. So we had the painful (or privileged, depending on your point of view) duty of ushering a double header!

We were up at 4 am that morning after staying with some area brethren, and we got home around 10:30 that night. I would hazard a guess that we were on our feet nonstop for at least 12 hours. It may not sound like much, but standing in basically one place in the sun, wind, and grit for that long gets a bit wearing. But with almost 50 volunteers we were able to raise a good bit of money, and we certainly had a good view of the speedway. Apparently it was a very exciting race, but I really can't tell the difference!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is neat that you all were there! I LOVE car racing and was actually watching that exact race on TV live as it happened there in Alabama. I was sitting on my comfy couch while you all were standing on your feet in the heat. That race is one of the bigger ones to watch on TV BTW. It's supposedly one of the "scariest" most challenging race tracks that there is.

    ReplyDelete