Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cooking Quandaries

Making meals in this tiny kitchen:
Photobucket
is quite a bit different from food preparation in my spacious culinary dream at home in Alabama:
Photobucket
There is no dishwasher, the sink has one small, shallow bowl and one small built-in drainboard, the refrigerator is an under-the-counter mini variety, and the tiny stove is all electric! As far as Berlin apartment kitchens go, I think mine is fairly well-sized, so I certainly can't complain.

I have to be very efficient and streamlined here. I shop at the market every other day generally, since I have limited cabinet and fridge storage. It takes longer to prepare meals overall because I can't really multitask; there isn't enough counter space, burner space, sink space... I'm making simpler meals and using a few "convenience" items I wouldn't usually turn to. But it's a fun experience to get the full taste of living in Berlin, and that means shopping, cooking, and making do like a real metro Deutschlander.

Photobucket
Two skillets take up all the room on the small stove, so I have to plan dishes carefully (but the kitchen is well stocked; you probably can't tell, but the front red skillet is a Le Creuset, something I would love to have at home!)

Photobucket
Wednesday night dinner; Chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce, rosemary garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed zucchini with Italian herbs, and breadsticks on the side.

4 comments:

  1. Ah; that last photo with corresponding description made my stomach growl! It looks very tasty! I had two weeks in a kitchen that small a couple of years ago. I wasn't as patient or creative as you are, though, so we ate out WAY TOO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) The sacrifices we make for the experience in the end are worth the trouble. That first photo reminds me more of our apartment kitchen and the second of the kitchen I dream of.
    Way to be creative and resourceful with what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a charming kitchen! Nothing like you're used to, of course, but still very cute and cozy. Nice mouthwatering visuals of your culinary delights. I'm now finding it hard to enjoy these Ramen noodles...8~P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments ladies! I'm going to really appreciate my kitchen when I get back, but this galley style is surprisingly efficient. And of course my indispensable sous chef Jeff makes it work all the better ;-)

    And Cezie, I started out just like you in a very small apartment with less than desirable kitchen. Now almost nine years and four homes later, I can look back at those early beginnings with a smile. Enjoy starting small!

    ReplyDelete