I have been searching for a windowseat-like object for a few months now. I had a guy who was suppose to be making me one, but that was way back in December. He only does it on the side, so it takes a backseat to his other work. When it became apparent I wasn't going to see one anytime soon (or perhaps ever), I starting looking around for something else that would work.
I was excited to find a small cabinet at our Habitat for Humanity Restore that I thought would work. It was quite cheap, so I dragged it home and Jeff helped me carry it to the shop. When I explained the painting, hardware, door, molding, and interior changes I wanted to make, he pointed out that perhaps it wasn't quite worth all that effort. I was disappointed, but knew he was right that we didn't have the time to take that much on at this point.
A day or two later, while cleaning up one of the upstairs rooms, I saw again a piece I had forgotten about. It was a left behind trunk of some sort, one of the multitude of items we inherited when we bought the house. Most of the things have been junk and we've been making regular use of our town's "large item" trash pick-up. But this raggedy piece had seemed sturdy and perhaps useful storage, although an asthma attack waiting to happen from the dusty, tattered fabric enshrouding the wooden sides and top. I decided to investigate what it would take to reupholster it by grabbing a loose fabric corner and giving a hearty pull. I was thrilled with what I found underneath!
A quick trip downstairs for my upholstery tack remover and a measuring tape, and I soon had a naked, clean box almost the right size for my windowseat! It's still a bit low, but I can add feet and properly upholster the lid with foam and batting to increase the height and comfort. I wish I had a "before" photo, but here is my new/old piece with a velvet flocked linen remnant I had in my stash.
I love the original label on the front! It even has the shipping sticker on the back when it was sent to Albany, AL, a town just over from us that only existed from 1887 until 1927, which really helps date it. Since the original builders of this farmhouse owned and farmed hundreds of acres around here, I wonder if their crop seeds came in this very box many decades ago!