Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chickens Little

Our new babies have come home to roost! I picked out two Buff Orpingtons, two Americaunas (which lay the colored eggs), and two Silver Laced Wyandottes. I had to go to two different places to get the breeds I wanted, but I've been calling all over town for over a month now trying to get the right combo of chicks at the right age. I wanted to raise them all together and I wanted pullets (females), so that led to some careful planning. Ordering from the hatchery required purchasing 25 or more, and we definitely don't have the time or space for that kind of operation!

PhotobucketPhotobucket
The smallest one, an Americauna that is only three days old, fell asleep in my hand!

We made them a cozy home and brought Atomic Cluck in for an introduction. She got extremely still and just stared at them. Then she hopped off my lap and ran out into the yard calling over and over. I have no idea what's going on in her little brain, but it was certainly unusual behavior. Once they are a little bigger and stronger, we'll start some supervised "play" time between them.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment