Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day!

As forecasted, we received a real winter storm last night and into the morning. Snow started falling around 8 pm yesterday evening, and we may even get some more tomorrow.

Everything, and I mean everything, is closed in the region. As I type, the happy squeals and shrieks of neighborhood kids playing in the snow can be heard. I'm rather surprised how many of them actually have boots and decent coats, given that it is Alabama and rarely are such outer garments necessary here. But a full 7-8 inches of snow is a once in a decade (or more) occurrence here, so I'm sure they want to live it up while they can!

I made my favorite yeasted waffles for a spontaneous brunch this morning, and we'll be curling up big steaming bowls of chili and cornbread to watch the football game tonight. I was tempted to make some of my favorite chewy molasses spice cookies, but Jeff said this snow had better not last more than a few days or we'll be three hundred pounds by the time they dig us out!

Just so you believe me about the 7-8 inches:
Photobucket

Snug as a bug in a cozy house covered with snow nestled in a frosty subdivision:
Photobucket

We won't be going anywhere soon:
Photobucket

Out and about (on foot):
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Some of the many snowmen and snowladies appearing on the block before noon:
PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment